EDWARD SCHULTZ 

An intelligent and prosperous business man of Merced County is found in Edward Schultz, who is a member of the firm of William W. Abbott & Sons Garage at Livingston, and a prosperous baker in the town of Le Grand, where he opened up a bakery on March 1, 1925, and is rapidly building up a good trade with the able assistance of his wife. He was born in one of the German colonies on the Volga River in Russia, on December 21, 1888, a son of Rev. Alexander George Schultz, a Lutheran minister and also a school teacher who is still living in Russia. When eighteen years old Edward bade good­bye to his home folks and sailed for America, and landed at Ellis Island, N. Y., on November 21, 1907. He left immediately for Cincinnati, Ohio, where he found employment in a shoe factory at six dollars per week; remaining there until 1908, when he came to California and stopped at Fresno, where he worked in the Home Bakery, and learned the business thoroughly; later he worked in a restaurant in Fresno, where he has a number of relatives living. In 1910 he located in Merced County and for three years worked in the Merced Bakery, but in 1913 he removed to Turlock and was employed in the Home Bakery there for several years.

 

On May 1, 1915, Mr. Schultz was married to Miss Mildred E. Abbott, a daughter of William W. Abbott, whose sketch will be found elsewhere in this history. After going out of the bakery busi­ness, Mr. Schultz became agent for the Chalmers, Briscoe and Chevrolet automobiles in Turlock, continuing there until his removal to Livingston in 1918 .when he became a partner in the Abbott & Sons Garage. Mr. Schultz is a member of the Masonic Lodge No. 395 of Turlock.

 

History of Merced County California With a Biographical Review OF The Leading Men and Woman of the County Who Have Been Identified with Its Growth and Development from Early Days to the Present

Author: John Outcalt (1925)

Edward Schultz, page 773

Contributed by: Carol Lackey