LOUIS E. SARBO
One of the first men to settle on Badger Flat in 1872 was Michael Sarbo. He had walked all the way from New York City, working at different places along the way to defray his expenses. His wife Bertha Pircolo, whom he had left back in Italy, his native country, came on to him four years later at Gilroy, where he was engaged in market gardening for two years. He then came on to Badger Flat, worked a while for wages on the grain ranch of W. J. Stockton, then came down into Merced County, and engaged in vegetable gardening, leasing land of Miller & Lux. The remuneration was sufficient to enable him to invest in thirty acres, which he added to by other purchases until he had 180 acres in the Badger Flat country under the irrigating ditch. He and his good wife became the parents of ten children, as follows: Mary, Mrs. J. V. Toscano; Martha, Mrs. L. Manduca; Joseph, Antone, and Joseph II are deceased; Louis E.; Grace, Mrs. J. G. Marchese; Rose, Mrs. Chetro; Angeline, Mrs. N. Dibiaso; and Flora, Mrs. John Rosseli.
Louis Sarbo was born in Badger Flat, on June 22, 1882, and his education which was begun in the Monroe school district of Merced County was finished in
Heald's Business College in San Francisco. For a short time he was bookkeeper in the Portuguese-American Bank at Los Banos. He then returned to the home ranch and carried on the ranch operations and now owns fifty acres of the old home place, and he has purchased 160 acres, eighty acres and fifty acres in other places, part of which he leases out, and carried on a dairy until 1923, when he sold out the business.
On November 20, 1911, Louis E. Sarbo was united in marriage to Miss Madaline Bove, a native of the Province of Potenza, Italy, daughter of Andrew and Agnes (Peluysa) Bove, farmers in Italy. The daughter came to California and lived with her brothers until she was married. There are three children of this union, Bertha, Michael A. R., and Henry A. L. Mr. Sarbo is a Republican in his political affiliations. Fraternally* is a member and Past Noble of the Druids of
Los Banos, and belongs to Merced Parlor No. 24, N. S. G. W. of Merced. He is clerk of the board of trustees of the Monroe district school of Merced County.