Author: John Outcalt (1925)

WILLIAM MUMBY

In improving the opportunities that have come his way, Mr. Mumby, the proprietor of the principal hardware store in Dos Palos, has evinced both discretion and sound business judgment and has won an enviable place among the upbuilders of his locality. He was born in Lincolnshire, England, April 14, 1874, a son of William and Sarah Mumby, who came to Ontario, Canada, in the fall of 1874, when their son, William, was only six months old. After nine years in Canada they came to Saline County, Nebr., in 1883, where they engaged in farming. In February 1895, they came to Dos Palos and farmed again. They both died in 1906.

The son, William, was educated in Nebraska and growing up on a farm, he drove teams for his father when he was only ten years old. From 1895 to 1906 he carried on a dairy farm in Merced County; after that he was construction foreman for Miller & Lux, and steam engineer, a trade he had learned in Nebraska. In 1911 he started in the hardware business in Dos Palos on his own account, and six months later lost his business by fire. Then he reopened a store and as the business has expanded he has moved from one location to another, each time to larger quarters, and is now quartered in the Odd Fellows building. In 1924 he erected a warehouse 50x90 feet. In 1923 he erected a fire-proof building, 45x180 feet, occupied by the Ford agency.

Mr. Mumby had five sons by his first wife, Susan Archer, whom he married in 1898, and who died in November, 1906; they are: William E., in Long Beach; Granville A., who married Eva Ellingson; Isaac Desmond, in Long Beach; Delmar and Maurice Odell, at home. The maiden name of his second wife was Mamie Gies, and she is a native of California; they were married in June 1920, and there is one daughter by that union, Luella Frances. Mr. Mumby is a member of the Dos Palos Sanitary Board, and $30,000 bonds have been voted and sold to install a sewer system for Dos Palos. He is a member of Santa Rita Lodge No. 124, I.O. O. F., of Dos Palos, Rebekah Lodge No. 333; Dos Palos Tent No. 31, K. O.T. M.


Additional Comments:
From:

HISTORY OF
MERCED COUNTY
CALIFORNIA
WITH A
Biographical Review
OF
The Leading Men and Women of the County Who Have Been
Identified with Its Growth and Development
from the Early Days to the Present

HISTORY BY
JOHN OUTCALT

ILLUSTRATED COMPLETE IN ONE VOLUME
HISTORIC RECORD COMPANY
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
1925
File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by:
Joy Fisher
sdgenweb@yahoo.com February 5, 2006, 12:07 am